St Paul’s Cathedral, 1989-2009
St Paul’s Cathedral, situated on the corners of Swanston and Flinders Streets in Melbourne’s inner city, was designed by the distinguished English architect William Butterfield. Although the foundation stone was laid in 1880 it wasn’t until 1926 that the erection of the spires began.
Cathedral Stone’s commitments to St Paul’s Cathedral began in 1989. Since then, there have been several restoration stages.
- 1989 and 2001 – Internal cleaning North & South Trancept, installation of Lantern to main spire
- 2001 and 2007 – Restoration of the front spires; Masonry paving and cladding to the Flinders Street podium; glazing and masonry conservation to the west front; restoration of Moorhouse tower and Spire; conservation of stained glass windows
- 2007 – Chapter House, adjoining buildings, Facade Restoration
- 2008 – Internal Cleaning of the Nave, Aisles & Narthex
Selected Project Photographs 2001-2009