Aberdeen Street Baptist Church, Geelong
The former Baptist Church was erected in Aberdeen Street, Newtown in 1853-4, to designs by Geelong architect, John Young. It continued to be used as a church until 1876 when a larger church was constructed in Aberdeen Street, and the earlier building became the Sunday School more information.
Over time the original stone work had become heavily delapidated and in need of restoration. The issues concerned with the heritage restoration of this Baptist Church are consistent with similar work completed by Cathedral Stone over it's 20 year history.
Cathedral Stone began Heritage Restoration works to the Church in April 2009. As head contractor, CS worked closely with Architect Graham Lyons and Heritage Victoria to ensure the balance between maintaining the integrity of the original structure and restoring the building to match the existing detail.
The scope of works consisted mainly of dismantling & rebuilding sections of the random walling to the west facade, & plinth to the north facade. The front north steps were reconstructed and the window & door sills and arches were also rebuilt.
As can be seen in this series of images, the results are transformative. Many churches across the Victorian landscape have been restored to their former selves with similar restoration methods. Other such projects by Cathedral Stone can be seen in the project gallery.